Well, this gal has had quite the makeover! You may remember her as the painting that refused to cooperate, but I just didn’t want to let her go. After all, I’d put so much work into her! So when I went back to it, I decided to change up a few things, colour-wise. I think she looks better this way (also, she looks meaner, which is not a bad thing).
Her bio reads thusly: “Young co-ed superhero whose superhero power is the ability to have an unbelievably large circle of friends, admirers, and hangers-on, and this despite the fact that she’s never been particularly nice to anyone. Like, EVER. Also, no one is exactly sure where she lives.”
I decided to stop making things harder for myself, and finally give in to the siren call of Photoshop. I’ve been playing around with flat colour and cleaner graphics, and I’m digging it!
Allow me to introduce you all to Violet, whose superpowers include (but are not limited to) being able to balance a pre-med program, helping out in her family’s corner store on the week-ends, and attending any record listening party she can.
Every now and then, I like to get back to basics and do a proper study. Since most of the paintings that I have planned center on portraits of women wearing late 60’s – early 70’s clothing, an image from my copy of La Fileuse (a French knitting pattern catalog) from 1968 was a good place to start.
Being a sucker for punishment, I also decided to use only white and Phthalo Blue (“the priceless troublemaker”, as Carol Marine would say). Here’s what I learned from this particular experience:
I’m pretty happy with the results, but I have to say: Carol Marine was right about Phthalo Blue. Even the tiniest drop will have far-reaching consequences. Use with caution!
Along those lines, no amount of white on top of Phthalo Blue will be nice and bright. Best to use a light touch.
Because I wanted crisp lines along the edges of the painting, I applied a light coat of matte medium along the edge of the artists’ tape. The paint didn’t bleed, but it did form a kind of “shelf”.
Also, when you look at the painting from the side, there’s a slight difference in sheen where I applied the medium, and where I didn’t. I’m pretty sure that can be solved by applying a varnish all over, but that reminds me that…
… I forgot to varnish the painting before removing the tape. Oops.