On a whim, I decided last week to crack open one of my many vintage magazines and see if I could reproduce an image. I am beyond amazed that I actually managed to 1) finish something, and 2) find that I’m happy with the result, especially considering how flat and grainy the original image was! I especially wanted to throw in the towel once I got to rendering the hair (never my strong suit). Let’s hear it for perseverence!
To me, this portrait is a direct result of all the practice, practice, practice that began with the portrait studies of the “30 Paintings in 30 Days” challenge. Even though the reference image had matte colours and little light information, I had completed enough portraits over the last few years to be able to fill in the blanks. There’s no way I would have been able to do this without having put myself through that “boot camp”!
I think we can dispense with all pretense that I’m in any way keeping up with the “30 Paintings in 30 Days” challenge. So now that that’s out of the way, let me just say that this is my favourite “hair painting” so far. Not only did I let myself get carried away with details (so much for “daily” painting), but bonus! I also took the reference photo myself, so, FINALLY, I can claim to have created an original painting. Many thanks to my lovely and patient model, S-A, who’s probably convinced by now that she works with weirdos.
I regret that I made it all the way through my teens and twenties without ever getting an undershave, gutless wimp that I was (am). This painting is about as close as I’ll ever come to having that hairstyle myself…