I must be a sucker for punishment because I opted to try another oil painting tonight. Overall, the results are much better, and unlike the last one (which I pretty much SOAKED in linseed oil – because what do I know about oil painting, right?), this painting might actually dry sometime this century!
What chuffs me about this painting:
- it kinda reminds me of a mid-century pin-up
What bums me about this painting:
- the hair is a little too unfinished, but maybe I should’ve thought of that before I chose to copy a picture of a woman with wild hair, and so much of it!
List some teachable moments:
- don’t expect oil colour and acrylic colour to behave the same way! Maybe it’s just the brand I use, but I really hate their cadmium red (to be fair, it is a cadmium red hue). It’s a fluffy, candy red that I find very difficult to control.
- still trying to figure out how to make a brilliant white highlight with oils. If anyone has any tips, please share!!
Anything else to share with the class?
- I listened to a collection of Stars tracks on CBC Radio 3 while I painted this. Just FYI.
4 thoughts on “Painting for September 12”
I really love this painting!
Thank you! I’m happy with it, too! 🙂
I think she is awesome, and her hair. ( My mom is a stylist if that counts for anything. LOL)
Ha ha! Thank you! It kinda got away from me, but I guess it turned out alright in the end. 😉